I have worked extensively with genealogists at certain periods of my life, I have never used any of the LDS tools and dont know anyone who has, although I know their collection is huge.

In Canada, the main source is the Hudson Bay Archives in Winnipeg, the archival collection includes records from the Catholic Church, Northwest Company, Marriage's, Baptism's etc... these sources have records starting around 1610 IIRC. These sources can be cross referenced quite easily and they are available online, they never used to be but are now. Pretty sure there are people who can do the research for you for a small fee.

This is important if your family came here with the first French (Champlain) as an example, or the first Scots (Selkirk settlers) who were engaged with one of the Fur trading companies, Hudson Bay Company, North west company, etc...

Many of the original non- native inhabitants of this Continent worked in the Fur trade, then went South either before the USA was founded or afterwards. I have been contacted by people around the USA who were descendants of Fur trade employee's, and we shared information with one another.

I am not sure of the extent of American Fur trading companies record keeping, but there are a number of them, I would be curious to know that, I have never needed to know that, but I would look there too.

Last edited by 673; 01/26/24.