Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Rocky - I've been to Horseshoe Bend >>>steep uphill in a work truck towing a trailer.
Coasting down it you could probably go 100mph.
I do not understand why one would pass through HSB en-route from Boise to Id 95.

Yes Whitebird and Lewiston Hills were both MFers before they were rebuilt. More so with snow pack. I saw the new road being built at Whitebird in about 1973 while we were traversing the switchbacks in a Chrysler town and Country wagon w/ a 440 loaded full of people and gear pulling a twenty foot RV. We were on the way to Elk City for a Sheep hunt.

My Uncle used to run from Treasure Valley to N Idaho once or twice a week pulling mobile homes in the sixties and seventies. His wife drove pilot car for him. She would have to drive to the top of the hill and stop all traffic while he negotiated the switchbacks with a 12x60 foot trailer. I can not even imagine.
Used to be that US95 from Weiser to New Meadows was a narrow winding road. As bad as Hwy 55 was, it was still better than 95. Since then, they've improved 95 considerably.

The summer after I graduated from high school in '66, I worked for a spray company in Boise, spraying yards, etc. My truck was an old beater with worn out brakes. The boss was too cheap to put new brakes on it. It got scary driving in the hills around Boise. Then he said I was to go do a job in Horseshoe Bend. I flat refused. I said I wasn't driving that truck over that hill until he got the brakes fixed. He didn't say anything but that coming Saturday he took my truck and went to do the job himself. Come Monday, the truck was in the shop getting new brakes. I guess he had a wild ride off that hill with 500 gal of sloshing water and no brakes.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.