Originally Posted by Calvin
Originally Posted by Teal
Originally Posted by Calvin
Originally Posted by pappabear
The UPS job cut is probably related to all the seasonal help the hire every year and then lay them off. They do it every year....this isn't a surprise!

Remember that new union contract for 170k per worker that was discussed here?

The result is 12k layoffs to pay for that.

Part of it. Also they expanded for a once in a lifetime and TEMPORARY event - Covid while delusional thinking was that those volumes will be forever volumes.

Now package volume has regressed to the mean amd they're hang chow. Plus they let the head of Coyote go like 6 or 9 months ago and NOW, suddenly they're surprised by the cyclical nature of brokerage operations after owning it 8 years. Looking to sell a company they bought for 1.5b that's worth, maybe 400m IF you can find a buyer.

I noticed that Amazon is now delivering a lot of it's own packages in some markets. That can't help either. Amazon up in my AK neck of the woods swings back an forth between UPS and USPS. Seems like right now they are liking USPS for a lot of the stuff.

Amazon delivers 6B packages themselves last year and delivers more than FedEx does. Amazon was UPS's largest client and as they continue to build out their native capabilities- that's shrinking for UPS.

Was off on Coyote numbers. They bought it for 1.8b. Seeing valuation from 200-400m.

Would not be shocked if Jeff Silver buys it back and rolls Mastery into it.

Me