Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
They could take their cues from the Savage 219, IMO about the most graceful budget priced break open ever made.

I agree that that is a very nice-looking single-shot rifle. The only "problem" with it is it doesn't meet the requirements for hunting in certain areas & manufacturers might take that into consideration. For hunting seasons in a variety of locations (i.e. if someone was trying to design a "universal" rifle instead of an elegant one), then it would at a minimum have to have the following features to check off the largest number of regulation requirements:

1. Breech loaded
2. Exposed hammer
3. Chambered in calibers .35 or greater
4. Chambered in a straight-walled cartridge

Item 1, 2 & 3 are what I have to primitive hunt under in LA & MS. Item #2 (which negates your excellent suggestion) is what keeps my beloved Ruger #1 chambered in 9.3x74r stuck in my gun safe collecting dust. It's a regulation that I see no reason for but I have to live with it for part of the hunting season. Similar to your Savage 219 suggestion, in other posts Exchipy has shared photos of his very nice TCR 83 Aristocrat which had the same lines as your Savage suggestion but is still inadequate for my particular area:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]