Originally Posted by TheKid
I repeatedly for years when the LR trend started to take off heard, “I want a rifle to kill a bear from 1000 yards”. When queried as to specifics on optics, stock style, rangefinders, basically any of the peripheral stuff that goes into successfully shooting any distance, about the only answer I received was 338 Lapua. And that was generally pronounced LaPow! Which led to us starting to call it the very powerful French cartridge.

Not a tall tail but...

Back several years ago a friend thought Varget was a French powder and was actually supposed to be pronounced "Vargay". He made several comments about dumbasses around here calling it Varget. I let it go and just chuckled to myself everytime he would ask for a pound of Vargay at the counter. Finally one day I ask him if he thought maybe it was a combination of varmint and target. Funny was the look on his face when the light come on.

Just a few weeks ago a man was telling me about the deer he missed at 400 yards this year because the bullet was still rising.

Twenty some years ago a boy was telling me about the groundhog he shot a 400 yards with his .243. Seems he was sighted in at 100 yards and held dead on because the bullet hadn't began to fall yet. The same boy also estimated deer at around 300 yards (later checked with a range finder) behind our work at around 800 yards.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

What do you get when you cross a polar bear with a seal? A polar bear.

Did you hear they arrested the devil? Yeah, they got him on possession.
www.wvcdl.org