I’m Currently a bolt action guy for Predator hunting, but I’ve called in enough doubles and triples where the benefits of an AR are obvious. I’d bet a mortgage payment I’ll never shoot past 250 yards, it’s just to thick here. The gun will be a tripod gun when standing, and bipod when sitting. This would be my first build/assembly, so I have questions..

—what’s an MOA accurate upper to build around? I was looking at PSA/Primary Arms, and top budget being White Oak price point ~$650 or so

—I like the idea of a side charger on a hunting rig, but I’m not set on it. Give me your thoughts here

—aside from the trigger, is a lower really just a block of metal to bolt everything else too? Meaning, can I use an $85 PSA lower and still get full potential out of a “good” upper?

—I’d prefer a complete upper and complete lower, the only thing I could see myself swapping is a trigger if necessary. I don’t want a project, I want a reliable tool.. This isn’t a weapon that will see thousands of rounds a year in training, it’s a hunting rig that might see 100 rounds a year at most.

—recommend upper/lower manufacturers that you are happy with.

I’m trying to find the balance point of budget and “precision “

Last edited by scottprice; 02/17/24.