A screwdriver handle works pretty well, and the one with my Chapman screwdriver set works very well with 1" rings. I put the front ring together (screws don't really need to be very tight) insert the screwdriver handle and twist the front ring into the dovetail mount socket. It's often very hard to turn at first and eases up as you twist it into alignment. Then I twist just a bit past straight with the bore and back up until it is straight. By this point it's easy enough to move that it usually won't damage the scope and then I can bore sight using the windage screws on the rear ring. I mount the rear ring and then align the two rings with a dowel rod (broom or mop handle has worked). Remove the ring top caps and see how the scope fits into the bottoms of the rings. The dowel rod can be used to align the two rings as well. I have even lapped the ring bottoms with a mop handle and 600 sandpaper. The screwdriver handle (plastic) and the wood rod aren't hard enough to damage the rings, and I have them on hand already.
Or you can buy the scope mounting and alignment tools from Leupold if you wish.