Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by drover
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by ingwe
Prepare yourself...a lot if not most PD shooting nowadays is pay to play.

Remember.........p/dogs like irrigated property

With that means a $250K irrigation pivot system (per field)

I have shot PD's for years and years in MT and have had quite a few extended trips to WY, CO and UT and I cannot ever remember shooting a PD in an irrigated field. I have shot a lot of ground squirrels in irrigated fields but even they seem to concentrate more around the edges of them rather than in the field itself.
Curious - it makes me wonder if PD's liking irrigated fields is just a regional thing?

drover

In my past 25+ yrs of dog shooting......

Irrigated fields & edges of these fields are magnets to them

Even while the pivots or wheel lines are running water

Just last year...dogs directly under the running wheel line...taking a bath...

Soggy dead dogs right now

Wheel lines are on 12 or 24 hr sets...run mine on 24 hr sets

Meaning they are rolled ahead approx 100' every 24 hrs..ground gets a good soaking

Pivot systems...when they run/roll/move...they're on timers...Can't barely see the wheels rolling

Once the field is watered over...they're shut down till next time

Not sure of your knowledge of these systems....

Pic......20 Duece (20-222) cleaning house with the 40 V Max

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

We have pivot systems here so I am familiar with them. I lived in MT for 25 years and I had never seen PD's and pivots in the same field in any of the places that I have hunted, but I have seen ground squirrels in them.

Actually pivots brought a great resurgence to the local ground squirrel population, prior to pivots most of the places here were ditch irrigated and the ground squirrel population was very low, once the pivots were installed the population boomed. I suppose mostly because of them not being flooded out by the ditch irrigation. Also because we are like your area and are very dry and the squirrels depend on their moisture from what is on the plants.

Interesting to say the least.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.