Originally Posted by JMR40
I bought a Ruger SFAR 308 a couple of weeks ago. Today was the 2nd range trip. The 1st one I didn't try for accuracy. Just tried hitting paper and to check for function.

I mounted a VX-2 3-9X40 on it; Most loads hovered around 2". I have some 155 gr Scenar's loaded that approach 1/2" groups from my Tikka or Winchester bolt guns. From the SFAR 3 shot groups were just a bit over 1". My Tikka put 3 shots into an inch or less with the other loads that were 2" from the SFAR.

It appears that with the right loads it is going to be very near 1 MOA, but unlike my bolt guns it appears to be very picky about loads it likes.

I was never interested in an AR10 in the past because of the weight. But the Ruger is much trimmer. My 308 SFAR is only 4-5 ounces heavier than the Ruger MPR AR-15 in 223.

Mine has the 20" barrel. Between range trips I ordered a thread protector and removed the muzzle brake. This took 1 1/2" off the overall length and almost 1/4 lb less weight. It splits the difference in length and weight now compared to the version they sell with a 16" barrel. With scope and mounts it's 8 3/4 lbs. Which is a lot better than most AR10's But my Tikka bolt gun is 7 lbs even and still more accurate.
Did it group better with the brake removed? I've read others grouping much better without the brake.