I process my own deer meat. I usually grind up about 60 lbs and place them in thr 1 lb cylinder packs from cabelas. Been doing that for many years now. I usually cut up and trim my roasts, backstrap, loins and such as well. I take these, wrap in reynolds plastic wrap the. Wrap with butcher papar. This too hase worked well for as long as I can remember. The plastic wrap keeps the moisture off of it so it doesn't freezer burn.

My question is sausage. I have had the local shop make my sausage for many years but this year made me rethink it. I got hit with a $656 sausage bill this year and I said enough is enough. He makes a sweet / heat type sausage that is fantastic but for that price, I'll try and start making my own. I already have the grinder and foot pedal. I'll just pick up a sausage stuffer and do it myself.

My question is when he does it, he vacuum packs it in 4 link packs. Stays fresh for a year or 2. But we usually eat it all during the year so there is very little carry over of sausage. Other cuts of meat will carry over but not long.

Can the sausage be wrapped the same way with plastic wrap and butcher paper or should it be vacuum packed? Or how do you guys that make your own do it? Thanks.