Originally Posted by ChrisF
Originally Posted by oldotter
Rabbit hole just got infinitely deeper....
One thing I need explaining pertains to my load development of my 22 Hornets. H110 and LilGun have almost equal burn rates (ranked 60 and 61 in my chart) Always thought pressure and velocity go hand in hand, however LilGun produces much lower pressures than H110 at similar velocities. not just a trivial amount either. What am I missing?
First question I would ask is "how are you quantifying pressure?"

Assuming peak pressures are the same, some powders are apparently showing a slower tail off in pressure basically increasing the "push" down the length of the barrel (versus just kicking it in the ass out the case). In other terms some powders increase the "Area Under the Curve" or AUC in the Time/pressure curve. That's kinda been the holy grail for powder manufacturers with people experimenting with duplex powder loads (layered charges of different burn rate powders) and other strategies. Some manufacturers have apparently cracked the code on that (or so says "Johnny's Reloading Bench YouTube Channel").

I am quantifying pressure by the Hodgdon 2024 Reloading Manual. I seriously they would print bogus data of that nature.
40 Gr SPR SP 13 GR LilGun 2826 FPS 28,400 CUP
40 Gr SPR SP 11.2 GR H110 2795 FPS 41,800 CUP
What I don't have a clue how you get 31 FPS difference with 13,400 CUP difference, with the slightly faster charge getting that much lower CUP. LilGun is magical beyond my expertise. Thats what I was hoping one of the many smarter fellows than I could explain why and how.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain