[spoiler][/spoiler]
Originally Posted by ChrisF
BuffordBoone here has a 4 twist, 30 cal barrel and experiences bullet poofs (scientific term) at normal velocities. ...been meaning to ping him to weigh in on the pressure thread. ...now I can ask him about weighing in here as well.

I personally wondered how rifling plowing a new furrow constantly leads to less pressure.

I've seen fast twist (1:4 .308) spin lightly constructed (SMK) bullets apart right in front of the muzzle when loaded to traditional velocity. That same barrel has also shown better (Higher) BC and more consistent BC when those bullets were launched at about 1700 if compared to the same MV from a 1:7 twist.

More robust bullets (Bonded or solid copper) stayed intact and enjoyed shorter time of flight than when fired from a traditional twist rate barrel.

I've been present when a 1:1 barrel was tested on radar. It was a 8.6 Blackout. Not only did the bullets survive, they showed no indication of "plowing over the lands". Interestingly enough, the radar data was worse than the 1:3 barrel we shot just before it. We know what the bullets looked like as we ran high speed video for that very purpose.

Someone remarked "I believe we've gone a twist too far".

Last edited by BufordBoone; 03/10/24.