Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Originally Posted by Osky
It’s been a great run and very interesting watching the “caliber evolution”. The .270 and 30.06 were all about elk and deer back when, toss in a .243 for the deer as well.
Next I think came the 7mags and .300’s. For elk alone the .338 became the big deal. On occasion a .375 would show up.

Osky

The caliber evolution turn into the bullet revolution. Although a bullet like the Partition has been around forever, the advent of premium bullets turned cartridges like the 30-06 and 270, and a list of other “smaller” cartridges, into giant killers. There just really is no need for the big boomers in order to easily kill elk and other big game these days.

In my early years guiding to be honest I can’t remember the bullet types. I believe most were partitions.
I do recall that .270 were either 130, or 140 gr. 06’s we’re in the 150 gr neighborhood.
300 yards was a big shot and we tried to get in better than that with patience and quiet stalking.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.