I was having a tough time finding 250s when I first finished up my Whelen. Shot some caribou with 180 Speers and 200TSXs, the TSX worked wonderfully and the Speer was junk that turned inside out and blew up.

Next season still looking for 250s I ended up with a box of 350 Remington Mag handloads from the early 1990s and the end flap indicated they were loaded with a 250gr Wyoming bonded core. I pulled them and gave the brass to a friend with a 350 and loaded the bullets in reformed 270 brass for my Whelen. A couple shots at a target confirmed zero and into the bush plane I went. Shot two middling sized grizzlies with those bullets and recovered one after it clipped the edge of the skull and then broke two vertebrae and the off shoulder blade. Cut it out and it weighs 249.1gr.

Next season finds me almost out of my mystery bullets when I happen onto a 2”x2” ad in the back of a 1991 Handloader magazine for none other than Wyoming bonded bullets. On a dare I called the number and left a message. A couple days later a nice guy named Robin called me back wondering how on earth I had gotten his number and called wanting bullets. He’d been out of the bullet business since the mid 1990s. After a visit he told me he made one run a year of bullets for old customers who wouldn’t shoot anything else and since I’d asked nicely he would put me in the queue. We ended up becoming friends and visiting via phone and email for years and I continued to be on the list and shoot his bullets. I probably have enough now for about all the Whelen use I’m likely to engage in.

Otherwise I like 250gr Hornady RN and Nosler Partitions.