Originally Posted by 41rem
Mine was pretty pathetic, I picked up a box on a whim at a gas station in Eastern Montana. I thought. well here's a new sexy looking bullet. I'll give these things a try. I can't even remember what brand the ammo was, but it was definitely a 130 grain Barnes X for my 270 Winchester now this is like 1984-1985.

I tried them out at the local range and I've never had a bullet scattered like these things, got shotgun patterns....3 shots into 3 inches then 3 shots into 4 inches & 3 shots into 5 inches.

Your memory is a little faulty, but then so are the memories of some other veterans of the Campfire. The Barnes X was introduced in 1989, which is when I first tried some. (You can look the year up in several places, including the Barnes website.)

Mine were some 180-grain .30s sent to me by Dave Petzal, the managing editor of Field & Stream, which I was working for back then, among other writing jobs. I tried them in the first Ultra Light Arms rifle I also got to test, a Model 28 .300 Winchester Magnum, and while most bullets grouped well under an inch in that ULA, the Barnes Xs weren't nearly as consistent. (In fact that rifle put nine rounds--three 3-shot groups with different bullet weights and makes--into .9 inch at 100 yards, something that's pretty common with ULA/NULAs.)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck