Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
62 years old, morning junior! Lol!

A 20ga, using lead, IMO, is a 30 yard gun. Will it kill further? Of course it will. But is further a good shot? TSS sure makes up the difference for a 20ga! I don't use TSS for ridiculously long distances, but that swarm of #9's give incredible patterns and allows the 20ga to stretch its legs a little further. If you look at the price of a single round, do you also calculate the cost of every bite? Way cheaper to just go get a Butterball....

Best to you and to everyone headed out this spring, enjoy!
I will take that 30 yards and in nowadays. I enjoy the show more than anything. I chased those 40 yard numbers with my 12 gauge about 10 years ago.

These days I enjoy the hunt far more than the kill.

In fact the last bird with the 10 gauge was shot at about 25 yards in the timber, couldn't even see any farther. It was about that time I realized even a 20 with a standard field load would kill 99% of the turkeys in my AO. That other 1% will get a pass and gives us another day to play the game.

Not knocking anyone but a $15 load isn't needed to kill a 40 yard turkey.

I remember my grandpa telling me that giving $.80 a shell was nuts when I first got my 10, I would hate to think what he would think about the cost of ammo now.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 03/15/24.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!