Originally Posted by 450Fuller
If you spend much time walking or fishing in grizzly or brown country, a heavy caliber lever action becomes a companion. Fast into action, fast on repeat shots. I have an original 1950s pre-64 M-70 in 375 H&H-but
the original pre-war Model 71s both in 450 AK and 450 Fuller get carried regularly. Ed and Phil Shoemaker agree on lever action rifles. Used to carry an ancient TD 1895 in 405. Allen Hasselborg carried one for decades.
Bolt guns work, but are slow in the thick bush. Bears generally require a second shot after anchoring...
A couple were killed in Banf N.P. Canada not long ago. Bear spray depends on wind direction...and the bear. Best have a back up that will work...I carry also a 45 Colt Ruger with 300 gr bullets. Be prepared.
I am also experienced with Grizzly kills.
I like leverguns alot.
The Sweetest I have is a .450 Marlin, sends a punishing ball forward and a cowkick backwards.
It has a low power scoutscope allowing 2 eyes open while sighting.
Just needs a little practice.
The .270 with 160 Partitions and scoutscope or ironsights is almost equal on the frontend, way easier on the back- a springtime calfkick. Recovering easily for a follow up .
Hey, this is a .270 wcf/ Grizzly thread. Cheers