I use to focus entirely on small game as we had no huntable whitetail populations except on the west side of the levee beside the Mississippi River. My favorite habitat for rabbits was the ROW beside railroad tracks, ditch banks, and blackberry or dewberry briar patches. Carhart overalls are most definitely your friend. Overgrown fields, harvested soybean fields with trash piles from the combine are other good place. The only shotgun I owned was a Winchester 37 steelbuilt in 12 gauge full choke. With it, I hunted doves, squirrels, ducks, rabbits, woodcock, snipe and whatever I happened upon. I also carried a Llama 22 revolver with a 6” barrel I bought in a Gipson Store that was closing for $50. I carried it cross draw and used it for finishing off animals. It was great for rabbits sitting in briar patches, hollow logs, and soybean trash piles. The black eye was a great bullseye. Used no 6 shot, cheapest Federal or Remington loads I could find. I hard to let the rabbits get out a ways because of the full choke. I tried to hit em in the head cos we ate what I killed or caught. Fond memories of simpler times.

Last edited by carrollco; 03/16/24.