A neighbor, who is really quite bright (like he made Colonel in the Air Force), mounted up a new scope on a 10/22, and failed to notice the top of the scope was rotated 90° to the left. I trailed along for the zeroing session where his first shots were about 5 inches right at 25 yds. As he started making adjustments, I noticed he was cranking on the topmost turret. I called him on that move, and he insisted it was labeled L/R and that's where the adjustments should be made. I got a blank stare in return, and he then verified the turret to the left side was labeled U/D, and he ran with his adjustments. When the subsequent shots went up about 4 inches, the lights finally came on.

With no tools along to rectify things, I explained the slugs would go whatever way he turned the turrets regardless of their labels, and we eventually got to zero. His issue now is the unit is to be a gift for a nephew and he's wondering if he should just write up some instructions or loosen the mounts, rotate the scope, and do a new zero. Being slightly on the cheap side, I think he's going to do a write up.

He initially tried to blame his wife for the orientation error, but a couple questions this morning verified she had nothing to do with it.

Have a good one,

Last edited by 1minute; 03/16/24.

1Minute