Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by 1minute
Although it was not his move, the biker is at fault. Hell, half the world is out there now with ear buds on and likely won't hear an approaching thunderstorm.

Not witness this type or wreck, but have seen two good ones. 1. A guy approaching a well-tanned chick coming the opposite way and exposing lots of cleavage. He turned to savor a rear view and gradually drifted to the right into the curb. All but the biker saw it coming together and it was spectacular. The chick was far enough along that she had no idea.

2. A guy paused to let an approaching bus pass and continued to look left as he made a hard right turn. He failed to notice the bus stopped for a pickup just as it passed, and he rode right into the back end. Never saw what hit him. We picked him and his bike up, dusted him off a bit, and he seemed conscious when we left.

I have had some pretty spectacular get-offs. Most in my youth. We used to ride our bicycles to junior high school. When the bell would ring, we'd race to get to our bikes to see who could get home the fastest. One day, I got caught up in a crowded hallway and my buds all got to their bikes before me. They were a few hundred yards ahead of me. I decided I would take a shortcut across a few lawns to cut the gap. I was looking at them as I angled across. THWACK. I didn't see the telephone pole guide wire. Right across the forehead. Peeled me off my bike and it rolled another 30 feet or so. I had an egg growing on my forehead for a week. I wonder if that's what's wrong with my head today.

Ha. I think I have you topped Paul

High school age, probably sophomore year or so, delivering papers in the early morning gloominess. Had smoked a hooter up the hill after delivering the first paper and before starting out on the rest of the route. About 1/2 way through, rode up to a house, tossed their paper on the porch, came off their lawn and onto the street to continue and ...........................bam. Smack dab right into the big white ass end of a travel trailer...............Like where the hell did that come from.

No egg on my forehead though. Just kinda embarrassed about missing a big white trailer. In my favor, I was probably operating on auto pilot and I seem to recall the trailer had never been there before.

LOLOL.

Another of my top 5. I grew up on the edge of Pascagoula MS where a residential area abutted some borrow pits and many acres of wooded land. We had bicycle trails all over the place. There was a dirt road that ran alongside a where they had recently dug out the ditch and install a culvert under a paved road that ran perpendicular to the paved road. We built a dirt jump on the dirt road. We didn't have any money, so we cobbled bikes together out of whatever we could find at a nearby landfill. I never was the wheelie or stunt king, but I could jump crazy long distances. One day I was trying to impress a neighborhood girl with my jumping skills on a newly assembled bike. I hit that jump at full speed and yanked up on the handlebars as I approached the peak. The handlebars came out, stem and all! It seemed like I was in slow motion flailing the detached bars in my hand. When I hit the ground, the front wheel folded under, and I went over the front and about 8 feet down into the ditch. I impacted on my shoulder and the side of my head about 6 inches from that concrete culvert. There was no water in the ditch at the time, but there was some deep soft mud where I hit. I collected myself, more relieved that I was still intact than embarrassed. There was a perfect impression of my head and shoulder in the mud.

Damn Paul, the scheidt we got into when we were kids.

Zooming around the sidewalks at the local elementary school one day ( can't say "halls as schools in SoCal were open breezeways), playing chase of some sort. Had a good head of steam up, came around the corner just as my friend did. Head on collision, me going right into the gooseneck stem of the handlebars with a certain part of my anatomy that isn't built for that type of contact.

Probably why I can honestly be called a brokedick?

Of course, should I choose I could likely recall a few more.

I won't get into the driver caused ones................like "I never saw you so I pulled out from the stop sign. "

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?