Dumdum, Where do you live?

Whitetails have pretty much colonized all of Alberta, even the mountains, where before settlement, it was by far mostly mule deer throughout the Province.

In the 80s before they changed deer management, it was relatively common to see herds of MD and WT near each other in the same field in the prairies of southern Alberta.

That is much more uncommon now that we have 30-40 years of doe management and mule deer buck draws.

MD and WT do interbreed, but it is relatively rare. Hybrids are usually infertile and not the brightest deer, as the habits of WT and MD are not totally compatible. The hybrid may exhibit behaviors of both species causing the hybrid to act indecisive, for instance, should they run or hide? That can result in the hybrid being easy prey for predators and hunters, so the lifespan may not be great.

WT are more aggressive, so it is usually the WT buck chasing and breeding the MD doe. Hybrids seem to have no definitive physical characteristics. Here in Alberta, as hunters, we are directed to use the tail as a species identifier. Don’t go by throat patches, coat colors, antler confirmation, ear size and shape, to ID species. Legally, the tail configuration directs what tag is used on the deer. If the tail is confusing, not helping the ID, don’t shoot.

I’ve seen photos and mounts of hybrids, they are not attractive critters. I wouldn’t shoot one. I’ve hunted deer in Southern Alberta since 1978 or 1979. I’ve never seen a confirmed hybrid.

I’ve spoken in generalities, as my understanding is that there is little conclusive about hybrid looks or behaviors.

Last edited by AB2506; 03/23/24.