I was referred to this specific forum for help in assisting more research on a family heirloom with some provenance. All help appreciated and additional knowledge - firearm specific and history specific from a long time ago in the Golden Age of world Travel and hunting...

Commission Gewehr Model 1988

This is a lovely firearm, well made, delicate and streamlined. It is in very good condition. RCBS verified it is 8mm Mauser, (7.92 x 57JS), bore .323.
It has been in the family for over a century and now it needs it a new home. rifle was given to my great grandfather by a Maharaja U. Singh in the WWI era. They became good friends over their love of hunting. My paternal great grandfather traveled to India where he hunted with Singh. Not sure what species but (deer) was mentioned, they hunted postwar in Europe for stag also. Singh ruled the State of Kotah, India. He was a noted big game(Tiger) hunter. I only know this info from family notes passed on, an Aunt had a wrap made with my great grandfathers tiger skin in the 1920’s…

The rifle is a bolt action, 8mm Mauser, twin trigger (one set trigger), steel buttplate, steel pistol grip cap, butter handle bolt. Gun is circa 1910 – 1912. Gun has very high degree of finish and raised quarter matte rib, (2) flip up sights, extensive markings, and an octagonal barrel which transitions to round before receiver.

Markings on top of quarter matte rib - V. CHR. Schilling Suhl Prussia.
V. Chr. Shilling stands for Valentin Christoph Schilling
Markings on top of barrel receiver transition - Krupp Steel
Markings in photo of side barrel band - 2.67 G.B.P St. m.G.
Verifies rifles marked with only an indication of powder charge and bullet type as shown here date to 1912 or before: 2,67 g GBP
††St m G
These marks show 2,67 grams of Gewehr Bl‰ttchen Pulver (military flake powder) and Stahl-mantel Geschoss (steel jacketed bullet).
Extensive proof markings on underside of barrel – see Photo…
usually accompanied with a crown-over-N or the word Nitro, specifying smokeless powder. 172/28

For Pix See:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/19325561/1888-commission-rifle

If I screwed up pix posts please advise! Thanks...