First things first.

1 - Check that the barrel shoots where it should mechanically. This has nothing to do with gun fit, but whether the pattern centers on the aimpoint. Aim the gun, using a rest and moving your head until you look down the rib that is flat; you should see no rib at all, nor be below it. Centered up - down - left - right. Do not focus on the aimpoint but the bead. I like to use the tightest choke available, and like 25 yards. Shoot several at different sheets. If it does not, use a different choke tube and see if it repeats. In a double gun, do the same with the other barrel. Technically, patterns should perfectly overlap at 40 yards, but I find it too difficult to be precise at 40 yards because of pattern dispersion.

If the gun isn’t within a couple inches at 25 yards, the barrel or choke or both are defective. Send the gun back.

2 - The next big thing is gun fit, and many of the items mentioned above may apply - eye dominance, gun mount and technique. I am a huge unbeliever in patterning for fit as everyone aims the gun subconsciously and spoils the test. This is where a competent instructor is a huge help.

I do an “eyeball” check of a client after getting the mount right (I like to see the eye slightly above the rib such that the rib appears to be cutting into the bottom of the iris slightly). Then we shoot and I read the breaks (when the shooter makes a good move) with the client staying “in the gun” and focusing hard on the target. I also do a careful assessment of eye dominance at about this point (that is a whole other topic I won’t cover here). After a good bit of shooting, usually on more than one session, I have a firm idea of what adjustment to the stock is required.

The process of gun fit is iterative, not prescriptive. Shooting and adjusting are important and the only path to a really good fit. And this can only happen when basic technique and gun mount are solid.

Now, to your problem of shooting 6-8” off, I’d suggest proceeding as I’ve outlined here. Don’t fool around with the gun fit piece until you know the gun is shooting where it looks as in 1 above.

Last edited by GF1; 03/23/24.