Originally Posted by johnn
Lots of questions. I will say a T&G floor is not typically a DIY project. However I get that you want it done right and are willing to learn.

I will also say that a real T&G floor is not practical in every home as a retrofit project.

Subfloor is plywood, good, T&G? How thick?
Size of the joists? 24"O.C. is ok if the joists are sized properly, the subfloor should be 3/4" T&G.

How big is the area? 1/2" out of level is not a big deal in a large room, different story in a bedroom

Realistically forget level, the goal is to make it flat.

Is the new floor to be laid parallel or perpendicular to the joists?

Is the floor end matched in random lengths?

I would make sure the subfloor is screwed down.
I would be concerned with fasteners holding in plywood.

Do you have many transitions to deal with?

Any stairs?
Subfloor is 3/4" plywood, but it's not T&G. I don't know what the size of the joists are. I didn't measure the joists under the floor. Possibly 2x10"s? Here's a picture.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I have the measurements of the rooms, but don't have them infront of me. It's two fairly large bedrooms and a hallway. I meant to say 1/4" variance, not 1/2" above.

The new floor is going to be laid perpendicular to the joists. I'm not sure what exactly you mean by the floor end matched in random lengths.

I did go through and ran a couple of screws in each sheet of subfloor. Some of them needed to be tightened up from the nails already. So I've fixed those and then put a couple of screws in the pieces that didn't need any help.

The stairs are already hardwood, as is the lower level. I'll just have to match this up to the top of the stairs, but I don't need to go up or down any stairs.

Last edited by slowr1der; 03/23/24.