Originally Posted by WPAHunter50
The 85 Sierra is the most accurate bullet that I have tried in my 243's. The bullet I am curious about is the 85 Speer #1213. I loaded up a dozen last night to see how they shoot. Midway has them for 25 cents a piece while the sierras are 38 cents. Have any of you guys shot any deer with the Speer 85's and if so how did they work?

On a deer, I've shot several with the 85 SP Speer. The load was 30 grains of 4198. I've loaded them up for kids to use and they have all been successful in taking their deer, and that is all that they cared about. I've taken deer each time I have used it myself.... BUT... several points:

1. 30 grains of 4198 is a light load, and the bullet can be pushed faster, with say a load of 4064 or 4350. Last buck I shot with it, was a big blacktail.... 180 lbs, shot behind the shoulder at at 50 yds. Fell on its side, grunted twice and expired.
Took it to the butcher and they asked if I wanted the remains of the bullet, so I said yes.

2. The bullet remains I got back, there wasn't much left of it. It had not exited. The buck died instantly, and the bullet had expended ALL of its energy and lethality within the deer's body at 50 yds at a lower MV. If I had used a load with 4064 or 4350, and it was traveling faster, I'd say I would have had a real mess, with a lot of blood shot meat.

3. Since that last experience, I pretty much use 90 grain Speer SPs. It opens up well, even at the lower MVs, yet its core stays together better, for deeper penetration. The 85 SP Speer would be more conditioned for me to use in my 6 x 45, than say a 243. The 6 x 45 had been built AFTER I had the above experience.

4. If cost is not an issue, the Sierra 85 SP or the Hornady 87 grain SP would be a better choice in the 243 or 6mm Rem.
Any of the 90 grain bullets on the market would be a better choice if wanting a stouter bullet than the 85 grain Speer.

5. If cost is a selling point, then I'd recommend using the 85 SP Speer, with a lower MV, say in the 2400 fps range., especially on smaller deer such as a doe. I know western PA can get some good sized bucks. I wouldn't want to lose one, or have a ton of blood shot meat, just to save a few dollars on a box of bullets. I'm not a big " premium" bullet guy. I think 'premium' is just a marketing dept term, but from what I have seen using the Speer 85 SP, I'd say there are better choices out there..... and this coming from a guy who is a big fan of Speer bullets and shoot a lot of them each year. Like several thousand or more.

Just my feed back based on my experience, for your question...best of luck on whatever your choice may be.

cheers,
seafire

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez