Low recoil and deer?

Casual situation, like shooting does for meat, etc.: A .223 has worked fine for me and everybody seems to have a .223 on hand.

Shorter range propositions: Inside 200yds or so, the .350L has worked well, kicks lightly, and ammo is everywhere

General Purpose Deer Season: I'd lean toward something like a 6mm Creedmoor if I had to pick one for all ranges and low recoil was paramount.

Other situations: A)If picking a youth rifle that will turn into a "lifetime" rifle, I would go with the 6.5 Creedmoor and load it down, like the 4198 loads mentioned above. I've seen them work nicely. B) If making any of the above choices where a suppressor is allowed, this changes the game. Your typical 6.5CM, 7mm-08, .308 with full-power ammo is now going to be a "low recoil" option, due to the recoil mitigation of the suppressor.

Edit: I've used all of the above and they all work, considering their limitations. Having said that, I'd easily give up several "extra" rifles to purchase one mid-size suppressor to use with my favorite hunting rifles. Shooting something that feels and sounds like a 10/22 but hits like a .308 carbine is tough to beat.

Last edited by JPro; 03/25/24.

Now with even more aplomb