Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by Brad
I'd be thinking of a wilderness, horeseback hunt in WY, ID, MT or BC.

BC would be at the top of my list.

Yep!

Have been hunting elk in Montana since my teens, as I was born and raised and grew up here--but have also hunted them in New Mexico, Colorado, Idaho and British Columbia. The BC hunt was 10-day horse-packing trip in the Prophet-Muskwa area, about 100 miles south of the Yukon border, in early September. Had elk, moose and caribou tags, and saw all three--though never saw a caribou I wanted (had hunted them in several other places). Got a "good" moose and elk, but the real trophy was riding over 100 miles in some of the most spectacular mountain country in North America, with all that entails, including hiking considerably after dismounting. Also saw a bunch of Stone sheep (the main camp was where L.S. Chadwick camped when he killed his famous ram in 1936), along with an average of a grizzly a day--one of which was a 2-year-old that followed me and my guide up a side-canyon after we'd tied up our horses.

Have been lucky enough to go on a number of "wilderness" hunts in places from Alaska to Africa, but that would be in the top three.

The outfitter is still doing top-grade hunts: https://www.olmsteadhunting.com/

Bingo on BC. I had an extraordinary trip in 2008 with Stone Mountain Safaris out of Toad River. Moose and elk with an almost on mountain caribou. Breathtaking.

Conduct is the best proof of character.