Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
There is none that I know of, I've been looking in vain for something like that for my older K-frame revolvers.

Weaver used to make a no-drill scope base for S&W's but it's clunky and has a high possibility of damaging the finish, plus I don't know if they made it for N frames. That's a K frame in the pic I got off the web.

[Linked Image from i.servimg.com]

If you do decide to drill and tap the top mount, an EGW red dot mount that's made for multiple footprints will fit into the existing rear sight channel and the two added holes in the top strap are covered by the sight when you replace it.

P.S. Unless I'm mistaken, there is only one hole in the top strap and that is for the front screw just over the barrel. The sight elevation screw doesn't go into a hole in the top strap, the back end of the sight is held in place with a little mortise thingamabob - at least that's the way it is on my revolvers predating the 629.

That looks like a mount I had on a k frame…. It was called a “B Square” and was ugly as sin but worked….. I’m pretty sure it got added to my pile of beer cans headed to the recycling center.