Originally Posted by 12344mag
You moved the powder from the house to the garage why?

as long as you keep the powder in the original containers they just go PHoooooof in a house fire, primers just go bang and cause no damage as long as they are not contained in something and if the loaded ammo goes off it won't even penetrate you skin unless your sitting on it.

Stored properly none of the items pose any sort of a problem. Keep in mind if you put a padlock on the fridge you're going to produce more pressure than you would have if the containers of powder were sitting in the open.

In the OP, I purposely used the word "accelerant", not explosive.

Yes, I have tossed a match into a half pound or pound of loose smokeless powder on occasion. It goes up pretty quickly.

I got tired of imagining how quickly fifty plus one pound cans would combust, and what that would do to the internal temps of the house, and also the nearby gun safe in case in the, God Forbid, case the house does burn. Not to mention the fumes generated while two old crippled farts are trying to escape a burning house.

Also, 10,000 primers inside a fire safe kind of defeats the purpose of it being a fire safe.

The fridge has magnetic seals. That is primarily why it was chosen. A chain around the fridge would not prevent those doors from venting pressure. All they need is to open 1/2 inch. But a thief can not extract the contents through a 1/2" opening.

Even if I enclose it in 1/2 inch plywood, the doors would have room to crack open in an emergency, and the lightly nailed top would blow off with 1/2 pound of internal pressure.

A five gallon can of gas or, kerosene if you want a nonvolatile fuel for comparison is about thirty five pounds of fuel. But I don't think that is such a great idea to store inside the house either.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.