Originally Posted by Hunterapp
Seems our options are greater than ever before. What's your preferred low recoil deer cartridge. Options that I am thinking of include the following

.223 with a good bullet for the application at hand.

7.62 x 39 " "

300 blackout " "

6 x 45 " "

6mm ARC " " my personal favorite

6.5Grendel " "

22 - 250 " "

350 legend

I have experience with the .223, 7.62x39, 300 blackout, 6.5 Grendel, .357 mag, and 350 Legend. No issues with any of them for a low recoil deer rifle. But I think you've got to decide a few things first. Avg shot distance comes to mind first. The 350 Legend will kill any deer but not a 300 yard rifle. Neither is the 300 BO or .223. Who is it for? I started my son with a Ruger 77/357 and liked it so much, I bought one for me. It is my go to when something needs shot. Everything I've shot at with it has died. .357 rifle can be had in bolt action, lever action, or single shot. Great way to start a kid. Right there with it is 350 Legend. No recoil at all. I have it in a CVA Scout and its a tack driver. If I was starting my son today, it would be with this exact rifle. Although I was more impressed with what a 125 gr JSP in .357 did to a deer at 70 yards than what the .350 Legend did at about 80. Both dead, but that .357 really surprised me. I will never be without a .357 rifle.

.223 is great and you can use multiple bullet weights to do about anything. My nephew has a Ruger American Ranch in .223 with the rotary mag that shoots everything we've fed it 1" or less at 100 yards. Amazing little rifle. Lots of ammo choices. minimal recoil.

7.62x39 is a great round that I'm very fond of for deer. Even the cheap comm block stuff shoots great out of my Zastava, Ruger, and CZ. Just hard to beat as an all around rifle. Like that my Ruger uses the same mags as my Mini 30. I will never be without a 7.62x39.

6.5 Grendel. I have 2. Howa and CZ. It is hands down my favorite. Minimal recoil and good factory options for ammo. Great deer round. I will never be without a 6.5 Grendel.

300 BO, for me, is the only disappointment in the group and that's only because I had a Ruger American that wouldn't shoot most ammo. It would dent the primer, but wouldn't go bang. 2 trips to Ruger couldn't fix it. Just not worth staying with that caliber with all the others available. But, it will get it done with little to no recoil.

6mm ARC has lots of followers these days, but not on my list. Not seeing much ammo on the shelves around here yet, but I'm sure its coming.

Simply put, you can't go wrong with any caliber you listed. Just need to consider what you want. Buy 2 or 3 platforms in different calibers and keep the one you like best. or keep all 3. I like variety.

The expert at anything was once a beginner.

JC