I started pressing my nose to gunshop glass in the late sixties as out of University on GI Bill & working, finally with "disposable income" after a long dry spell. The 71 was both more expensive and but for the 20" ^ 24" barrel length and regular & deluxe editions. That was it. The lack of chamber choices seemed a bit ridiculous. They were also more expensive than the average '86 in .33 Win and that chambering was the least expensive. The Model 64 was also 'out there' but no overlapping chambering, moreover a totally different action design; really a different creature. Comparisons there going to needs and taste.
Winchester had such great opportunity to do so much with the 71, but it hit the market the same year as the Model 70 was intro'd in '36 and speculation the Factory did not want internal Company competition. Who knows, but it positioned the 71 as an "also ran" by hobbling the chambering and the pistol grip as only stock. One factor unmentioned so far in this Thread, the 71 was 'allegedly' of nickel steel receiver and maybe bolt. (Such the Model 70 as definitely.) Beyond seems to me the 71 never really reached its potential. Conversely, the Factory went whole hog on the '86 with a bunch of choices from chamberings to stock configurations to barrel lengths. "Nickel Steel" replaced "High Pressure Steel as I recall just after the turn of the Twentieth Century. Entirely sufficient for factory chamberings intended in normal "smokeless" loads. The variations in the '86, greater fodder of collectors nowadays.

I can't comment on values nowadays, but at least into the nineties era, a standard grade '86 in most prevalent .33 Win was selling for less than a 71. I have several vintage '86 models all in 33 Win and in .33 chambering as then most affordable and 45/70 as most desirable "least"! I much prefer the straight stock as my very precept of "levers" as historic except for such as the Win 88 and like rotating bolt editions.

I also have one Browning '86 in their rendition of of the Saddle Ring Carbine. Senior memory moment but believe it's a 22" barrel and definitely full mag. Miroku manufacture as all of the Browning breed to my knowledge right back to the reintroduction celebrating 1886 + Century edition in 1986. My understanding at least through 2012 as I bought a lightweight sporter Winchester with the tang safety in 45/70. I think the best news is that all such rifles are safe for the loads factory intended and then some. Also the good/bad of non-original specimens as the bad while factually "more affordable" the compromise.

I think the 'net' here back to the old "pay the toll & take your choice". Plenty of options and the fact of needing to handload, perhaps yet the considerably cheaper (?) alternative to factory stuff at current prices!

Just my appreciative take of the 71/1886 Pattern rifles.
Best!
John