I got lots of good advice in my flooring thread, so I'm back needing more home repair advice. I'm working on repairing a section of damaged drywall on my ceiling and I'm quickly finding out that I have a lot to learn. I cut the damaged section out and put in a patch. I attached it to the joists, along with using a furring strip on the section past the joist. However, I'm finding that it's slightly higher than the existing sheet rock in one corner, but then in the middle it's slightly lower. The section that's higher isn't a big issue as I will mud over it and try to get it level. It's the part that's proud that I'm unsure how to tackle. I've read numerous sites saying to feather it out more, but I'm just not understanding how that's going to hide a bump in it. I started sanding trying to get it closer and you can see it's starting to go through the paper. At this point I stopped and decided I needed to do more research. What's the best way to tackle this from here? I honestly have no idea what I'm doing as I have very little drywall experience and what I've done in the past hasn't always looked great, but I'm trying to learn.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by slowr1der; 04/06/24.