Originally Posted by renegade50
Originally Posted by gunswizard
I drink coffee most mornings with a group of Vietnam vets, one was a helicopter pilot and one a Navy pilot who flew missions over the North every day. Lotsa interesting stories. Another member of the group is the former Commanding General of the 101st Airborne who rode a helicopter down after taking hostile fire. There are former members of the Army, Navy, Marines and the Air Force, enlisted men and officers, several with Purple Hearts and other service commendations.

Worth a post....

What former CG of the 101st was shot down in a helicopter during the Vietnam War?

That Question would be on every Soldier of the month board
Every soldier of the Quarter board
Every soldier of the year board.
In every unit from the 101 asked by every CSM and 1sg at battalion level, up to Bde and Div CSM,s at division level boards.
And asked at every E5 and E6 promotion board in every battalion from Combat Support to Combat Arms in the 101st.
And would most def be mentioned in the Veitnam section at Pratt museum on post.

Military history kinda stuff.....

Kinda funny.... I did 3 tours in the 101st from 1990 to 2004
Never heard of this " obscure factoid"
Ever.....
Nor have I ever heard it from anyone ever in any unit I was assigned to in the 101st

You word this like this former CG that got shot down in a bird over vietnam that you sip coffee with is still a 02 consumer.

List of CG,s of the 101st from 65 to 72 while the unit was in veitnam and the year they stopped being O2 users..
Powell 11
Stenberg 04
Barsanti 73
Zias 81
Wright 14
Hennesey 01
Tarpley 86
Cushman 17

So which Weekend at Bernies former CG of the 101st that rode a bird down in Vietnam after taking hostile fire are you drinking coffee with????

You know it, it seems.
Let the rest of us know it please.
Just to clear this up...
I will own this if I am mistaken, feel free to enlighten me and others that served in the 101 on here.
👍🏻
Allow me to bump