Whatever, do seek a sheltered spot for camp and yes, utilize every possible tie down opportunity. Topography, a willow thicket, boulder patch, or whatever. Absolutely not out on some open plain.

Years back a large group dropped in on us on a moose hunt and chose the scenic high ground at the end of the lake. A serious blow and rain that night, and all five of their tents were lashed together in a heap around their only tree at dawn. I bumped into one of their party, and he appeared well weathered. They were gone by 11:00AM.

Three of us were in a well secured Cabela's 6-man Alaska dome tent tucked into the nearby spruce forest and weathered the event with concerns but no significant issues.

If each is taking his/her own shelter, I'd be inclined to go with the stoutest North Face Mountain tent one can find/afford. I have a two-man (actually only 1 unless the second is with a Scandinavian bikini squad) I use on my canyon float trips on some Columbia Gorge tributaries. Between its fly and the tent, there are 29 tie down points and one can even run ground to ceiling lashings within. Fly goes right down to ground level. It's stayed up when every other camp was flattened, and Mother Nature's breeze was actually throwing gravel.

Fu-king expensive, but damned well worth it (like $500), and a Coleman gas lantern will furnish suitable heat. Not used a Kifaru, but their best products look fully capable as well.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/15/24.

1Minute