Originally Posted by xphunter
For cleaning out Hog populations, I would go with the 6.5 PRC.
Light recoil and decent ballistics.
This is assuming the gun shoots well enough to kill at that distance (760 yards).
How does it group at 800 yards in good conditions?
If you are going to be shooting off of at that portable shooting rest in the picture, how good can you group with it at 700-800 yards in good conditions?
Factory ammo or reloading?
What bullet are you considering?
If it shoots well in your rifle, the 147 ELD-M would be a consideration

Originally Posted by CGPAUL
It would be easy to zero any of the named rifle/cartridges at the 760 mark. But, how good are you at calling conditions when hunting? That would be the deciding factor for me.

Ofcourse, no one would be forcing you to shoot if conditions weren`t right.

All of the above is to be determined.

Without getting too deep in the weeds, let’s just say the topography of the places I’ve hunted over the last sixty years does not lend itself to shots much past 200 yds. The shooting club to which I frequent, the range is limited to 300 yds. Consequently, the ability/capability to shoot well at distances over 200 yds. has not been the prime directive.

However, it’s good to have a goal and a plan to achieve that goal. This would be a new challenge.

You mention the 6.5 PRC. I have a Browning Max Long range chambered for that Cartridge.

I’ve only killed with it to 200 yds.

Here are pix from a range session where I shot it to 300 yds, with factory 143 Gr. ELD-X. At present I do not load match bullets.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Maybe a fluke, but its a start.

Anywho, In the coming weeks I plan to take several rifles to the range and shoot @ 300 to see which works. I'll be going back to my lease in a week or two and I'm going to scout out a couple other areas that are easier to get to/from than the Canopy.

Ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 04/17/24.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.