Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
.405 Brass and ammo is definitely available, just expensive! So far bullets are in pretty good supply, both Hornady and Hawk, to name two sources.

If you're craving a .460 S&W single shot, then the Miroku is probably a good option. The Ruger .460s command big premiums, especially the ones with 22" barrels. Ruger has also made a run of .450 Bushmasters in the #1, and some of these are out there for semi-reasonable prices, but they are in the stainless & laminate wood models. The .450 Bushy of course also uses .452 bullets so a wide variety are available. .450 brass is readily available. The Number One in .450 is the only one that came from the factory with a threaded 20" barrel, so it is also set up well to run a can. That's what finally got me to buy one.

And I am with Pappy - the Low Wall Winchester, in modern steels would be awfully interesting (and effective) as a lightweight .30-30. I've thought about getting a .22 Hornet or .223 Low Wall rebored to .30-30

I’ve seen some new-production LWTHs in .357 recently. One of those could be rechambered to Max or maybe even the Buckhammer with some additional work on the extractor.

As best as I can remember, I have five “deer rifles” that haven’t made their bones yet, so it’s doubtful (not impossible!) I’ll be tackling such a project, but I’d love to see yours!😛 I’m full of good ideas, and sometimes something else…….

Another action that could take the .30-30 is the original Stevens 44½. CPA and I traded emails, and they say the originals are strong enough for the .30-30, as long as one doesn't get stupid about loading hot. I bid on a .25-25 on GB, but did not win the auction. Since then, the originals I've seen for sale were too expensive to use as donors. CPA does make a "new" 44½ action, but it is somewhat wider than the original, and presumably heavier.

One of the Miroku Low Walls should already have a stock suitable for using a scope, which is what I'd prefer with a .30-30

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."