Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by Flashdog
I would bet that 5w-30 would work just fine in LA, especially in a 200k (just broken in) Toyota.
I think that also but what do I know.
Originally Posted by Heym06
Originally Posted by Hastings
While we are on the subject, my wife has a 4 cylinder Toyota Highlander that has used oil from the day we bought it new. About a half quart every 800 miles or less which I have kept topped off. One time when I was absent for 3 weeks it went below the add mark. The recommended oil is 0W20 synthetic. Before our last oil change I started adding 5W30 synthetic. After about 4 times if either quit or slowed down dramatically on oil usage. Is that weight oil subject to cause engine lubrication problems?

I changed it last week with 0W20 but I might put some more 5W30 in it if it goes back to using. There are no leaks anywhere, it is going out the tailpipe.

2014 model with 200K on it.
I don't know about the rings as mentioned earlier. I do have a vehicle a 93 Trooper that uses about the same amount of oil, but it has 273,000+ miles on it. In seriousness the vehicle should not be using that much oil. Unless it has lots of miles. You never mentioned the age or mileage on the vehicle! I do know the wife's rig is turning 30,000 and it doesn't loose oil between changes.
I posted 2014 model with 200,000 but it has used that much oil since it was new. Toyota folks said that was normal and to be expected. I have a 2020 GMC 4WD with the small V8 and the only time it uses a little oil is with hard climbing in the Rockies. Other than that it can go the whole 7000 miles on the full mark.

I've got a 2005 4WD Tundra with over 300,000 miles and it uses very little oil. Toyota said to put 5W30 in it.
I missed the mileage part, seems odd that it has done that since new. Looks like you have it covered by switching oil. I’ve only bought a dozen or so new cars, from various manufacturers, never had one use oil like that.