Hello, my name is James Langston, I have a J. PeterLongo Austrian Drilling 1912 that I purchased from Gun Broker a month ago. It's been a challenge also with the cartridge but still working it. I have fired the drilling about 40 times so far but my brass has an issue. Had to purchase a scope and make my own rear mount base. I have and issue with the brass from Bertram USA so this is what I emailed them.I purchased 100 pieces of 6,5x70R brass from Bertram Brass USA. On the bottom of the rifle barrel it is stamped 6,3 1/2. Back then they measure from the lands (this is just for your info). I have some questions about the brass that may have to be answered by the techs or your re-loaders/sizers. I inserted some pics also to show. Here is the issue that I am having. I have a set of RCBS dies. Every time I size a round of brass it leaves a small crack about 1/4in around in the same place (middle). Ample amount of RCBS case lube is used, and also have taken the center of the sizer and looked inside if there were any defects, none that I can see. After sizing and trimming, the brass fits perfectly in the chamber. At the range the ammo all fired perfectly but the cracks lengthened, I do believe that this is only to be once fired brass, and at almost $5.00 a piece of brass, this is not feasible. I do not believe with the craftsmanship and technologies of the old Austrian gun makers that this was an issue. I have come up with some theories that may explain the issue.
1. There is too much brass to resize in the die. (extremely hard to resize) Bertram should test the brass in RCBS dies in your factory to look for cracks.
2. My RCBS dies are not made correctly/incorrect tolerance.
I was wondering if you have heard any other issues with this round being reloaded, or please give me what is causing the problem.
I only have about 55 piece's of new brass left and I don't want to reload anymore since I can't fix this issue. At $479.00 per 100 pieces, you should understand. I have been reloading for over 20 years and this is the first with the main body cracks. Thank You, James (I would like to begin a thread with anyone, or others that have this obsolete cartridge). I also have all the load data and I had to pay for it from a European site.I am having difficulty and cannot insert my photos so this is my address if you want some photos and info. jimmysabrinagmail.com Thanks,