Duped, do you mean you are part of a group of six?

Here's a starting point for you to consider:

Backpack huntin is definitely doable in the selway. If your successful it will be a REAL test getting the elk out on your back. You would have to determine your limits in advance and decide not to hunt further from the road than that. For most guys im guessing thats around 5 miles, in the steep selway country maybe less than that.

There are about 8 outfitters that guide in this part of the selway. Ive pasted their names and prices at the bottom of this post in case your interested in them. Their drop camp services typically consist of: camps set up with tents, stove, cots, cut firewood. You have to provide your food but they pack it in for you. They also let you ride their horses to and from camp. Im not sure what extra they charge for packing elk meat/horns out.

I am not an outfitter so i could not transport people or do any guiding. But im pretty sure i could be a packer and just bring camp in and camp/elk out in exchange for barter. What is legal as barter i still need to research, but im thinking something like services worth the equivalent of half or less what is charged in money as seen below. Again i dont want to break any law, so i need to read up.

The advantage of hiring a real outfitter is you know what your getting and they know the area. The disadvantage is they are going to put people in drop camps in areas were they wont interfere with their higher paying clients. Also, since outfitters can only use their permitted camp sites, this includes for drops, their permitted sites pretty much get hammered the entire season. Personally, when im hunting for myself i avoid outfitter campsites like the plague. They are hunted day in/day out by large groups. If your interested in an outfitter, there is one or two in the list below i would recommend. Also with some phone calls you might be able to find an honest guide who will drop you in a good area that isnt hammered by his other hunters.

pm me if you think we should talk more on this.

(all prices per person)
Meadow Creek Outfitters -$1,700
Bear Creek Outfitters -no drop camps
Mike Richie Outfitters -?
World Class Outfitting -$2250 - $2450 +6% tax
Bitterroot Outfitters -$2,000
Wildlife Adventures -$2,400
Lockey U Outfitters -$1,500
Ready Outfitters -?