WW, you are way off base jumping in with your wisdom on a thread where I am trying to learn about a subject. If you are on level ground, in a field and shoot a buck from a kneeling position, just how do YOU going guarantee dirt behind it? I shoot mainly from a tree stand, which you should have picked up on. That generally means shooting into dirt at some point. I don't aim at the log cabins, but I also can't guarantee that the kids of those familys aren't going to be playing in the woods or trespassing either. I guess that stuff doesn't matter to you.

I spent a few years in Physics classes at college. Your example of shooting in the air at an angle to support your idea is pretty stupid. Who in the hell would do that?

Explain how it's possible for a slug traveling at a much slower speed that bounces off something to travel farther than a centerfire that bounces off something at 2900 or 3000 fps. If you are going to toss in studies done, then you need to source them. I have never heard of a shotgun slug hunting for deer being less safe than file hunting. I bet a study does exist that supports shotgun hunting in general is more dangerous than rifle hunting.

Apparently you don't hunt from a tree stand. It's not funny on any level. A shot from a stand that is facing the opposite direction is tough. We aren't talking long distances, since I already stated it is in a wooded area. If you do hunt from a stand, you must not make any shots on nice bucks that walk beind the way you are facing. If you did, you would have to do the same thing you are calling "funny on many levels."

I also find it odd that you don't care for shotgun hunting, but in your first post you state how you shot a doe IN THE HEAD at 125 yards with a slug. Why were you using the shotgun? Were you just proud of your head shot and had to toss that in? Seems like you need to finish arguing with yourself about which is better.

Why a follow up shot? Because I am not too perfect to admit that I shot at a nice buck a couple years ago and missed. It was by far the biggest buck I have seen on my property, and my heart was racing and I was excited. It was walking slowly and would not stop. I rushed my shot. There is no way of knowing for sure, but would a semi-auto given me one more chance at it. That was a first for me, but then I don't claim to be perfect shot. I can hit an eight inch paper plate off hand at 100 yards almost every time with my rifle. I am comfortable enough with that.