Yikes thats fast!
And this velocity is from a 20" barreled Rifle!
In this months "Handloader" Magazine there is an EXCELLENT article on the 17 Remington Fireball.
Many interesting items were touched upon by the author including a comparison of the trajectories of the 17 Remington Fireball and the 22-250 Remington all the way out to 500 yards.
But the most amazing thing I thought was the speed the author achieved in his 20" barreled Rifle with 20 gr. bullets - 4,132 F.P.S.!
Thats smokin, AND, that speed will translate into enhanced lethality on Varmints and way flat trajectories over normal Varminting distances.
It makes me wonder what kind of velocities I will be able to get out of my Remington 700 VSF (with its 26" barrel) in 17 Fireball?
To date I have been shooting 25 gr. Berger bullets in my handloads. Yesterday though I traded into some Hornady 20 gr. V-Max bullets and I already have some H-322 powder (the powder used to obtain the super-velocity) on hand. I will get to work on my own 20 gr. loads as soon as I get a break from Spring Bear Hunting and Ground Squirrel Hunting!
Another powder that performed well velocity wise in the authors tests was H-4198. With velocities right on the heels of the H-322 powder, and in the authors Rifle, accuracy was even better with the H-4198 powder.
I have some of that on hand as well.
This "handloading hobby" can certainly be a busy endeavor at times.
Long live the 17 Remington Fireball.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy