pointer,

Around 100 Oryx were planted on the White Sands range, about 3,000 square miles, in the late 60's. Hunts started in the mid-70's. When I hunted there in '87 they told us there were 1,700 animals on the range, but that a good number had escaped into the adjoining National Monument property and that some had traveled farther. Maybe ktg knows how many are there now?

To answer your question I guess I'd say that no, it's not a canned hunt per se, but it ain't exactly tough either. I recommmend it, and anyone who takes a trophy like Mrs. ktg has reason to be proud.

The Ibex are similar. They were planted in the Florida Mountains south of Deming, have taken hold and are migrating. Now this one is a real hunt, though again not truly 'difficult' to tag out. Imagine hunting goats in 10.000 foot mountains in 90 degree heat. I found the terrain and tactics similar to Coues Deer hunting in the Steens area.

I was a New Mexico resident at the time of these hunts and they were by drawing just like other controlled hunts.

Last edited by Journeyman; 12/17/03.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...