From what I know about serious 4wheeling rigs, is that IFS is not a positive factor. The old Army 'jeep' the "M151A2 1/4 ton truck", with full independent suspension was known for it's knack of over turning. In fact, it's not even DOT approved for highway use. Which is why the average 'joe' can't buy one from the governement surplus sales.

The off-roading shows I've watched involving serious rock crawling all show solid axle jeeps climbing unreal rock formations. In fact, IFS keeps the center differential lower to the ground than solid front axles.

The only place I know that IFS excels over solid is high speed running such as the Baja 1000.

The original Hummer was cool, but no replacement for a normal truck. I do believe the brakes were mounted inboard near the 'pumpkin' which is in harms way of large rocks. The original 6.2liter diesel is not know for it's performance, and civilian models had to be introduced with better engines in order to sell.

Just my opinion here, but a person would be much better off starting with a Chevy, Ford, or Dodge when it comes to building a better off-road hunting rig.

Brian