The predecessor to the R93 was the R84 and it did have the more traditional, protruding bolt lugs. However, the R93 does have bolt lugs also but they are like the petals on a flower that open up in a circular recess at the rear of the chamber in the barrel. This "floating bolt head with its lugs opening up through 360 degrees" supposedly aids in centering the cartridge in the chamber so well contributing to the very good accuracy of these rifles. Purportedly, they lugs have more surface area than the traditional two-lug bolt rifle. And we know many of those rifles (bolt lugs) as they come from the factory bear unequally which is why gunsmiths "true" and blueprint the actions seeking symmetry of the bearing surfaces. So, I've pretty much put the safety factor to rest in my mind. Just a reminder, every action made has been rendered to small parts by a careless handloader so it's not just a R93 issue. In the last year as I recall someone took a Weatherby apart without tools in the same way.

The price is an obstacle but diminishes with a couple of more barrels, as you have more "rifles". If you have a lefty in your family, you can also buy a lefty bolt and of course it fits in the reciever just as a right-handed one would. The QR-type one piece ring/bases combination are expensive but can be taken on and off without losing zero and changed from barrel to barrel, another versatile concept.

I agree about the trigger. It is the best I've every experienced in a rifle, stock or custom. The safety/cocking piece is another unique feature as the rifle is not even cocked with the safety off. Pushing the ergonomic safety off also cocks it and you are ready to go. I will say this cocking motion, for me anyway, was something to get used to. It is silent but takes some force and some tactile learning.

Someone here once called the R93 "an over-engineered piece of junk"; my response is, "yea, about like an Audi A-4 Sport."

Gdv