Over the years, I've learned that to really understand the strenths and weakness of an optic, I need to use it in the field for a while. So, I took my two new 6-6.5X bins out for a stroll in one of my hunting areas.
It's a second growth fir forest at about 7000 ft. Very over grown, thick, and steep. Some open areas out to maybe 200 yds., but most of it heavy cover where a long shot would be 50 yds.
The first to get tried out was the 6X30 Yosemite. Liked it and what it did right off the bat. Much more user friendly than any of my 8X bins for this kind of glassing. While my Penetax SP 8X43, my Nikon 8X32 LX and my Leica 8X42 BA are all better optically, I couldn't tell under those conditions, at those distances. What I could tell is alot less image shake, faster, easier on the eyes focusing for whatever distance, and their light weight. You hardly know you are wearing them. They lay flat on the chest and don't move around much. They would focus right down to 11 feet. Looking through cover with them has never been easier.
But I did notice a few annoying things. If the low sun was any where near 30-45 degrees off either side, I'd get some leakage around the eye cups and that would bounce off of the oculars to increase the eye strain. The slightest movement of the head, such as in scanning, and the image had a tendency to black out. The barrels would move apart or closer easily and cause those problems. How sharp were they ? I could pick up gooseberries in among the folige, see insects and seed heads at 80-100 yds. from standing. I was impressed.
Then I tried the Minox. At first, I wasn't impressed. The idea that you set and forget just didn't work. When set for 40-50 yds., anything under 25 yds. was way out of focus. Anything over 90 yds. was odviously not as sharp as it could be.
So I changed tactics. I'd preset the 100 yd. distances at -0-, the 40-50 yd. distances at +1, and the 15-20 yd. ranges at +5. That did it. Not as fast as the Yosemite. But, even with my eyes tiring from using the Yosemite, the Minox made it plain that they would strain the eyes less. Even better was looking at something where the sun was at those troublesome 30-45 degree angles. Not a problem with the soft rubber eye cups of the Minox. Kept the stray light off of the oculars just fine.
I thought the 19 oz. Yosemite would be noticably easier to carry. It wasn't really. I did have to shorten the carrying strap on the Minox a good deal or it would roll around alot on my chest. The oculars tend to hang away from the body due to the carrying strap design whereas the little Leupold would lay nice and flat. If you are inclined to go for a mad dash to get a shot, the Leupold will behave a little better. But that's about all. BTW, the Minox comes with tethered objective covers. The first thing I did with mine was to cut them off. They ride on the objectives when it's in the case, but not in the field. Way too much trouble.
So, here's what I've concluded.
Either are much better for close, looking through cover than any of my 8X bins. No question. If you insist on focusing quickly to see everything, if you need to focus right down to 11 ft. to see blood drops on the ground, or you want the nicest riding binocular, go with the Leupold 6X30 Yosemite.
If you want the most user friendly bin, the one that will strain the eyes the least over a tough day tracking or still hunting, go with the Minox.
Either are well worth having. I'm not one bit sorry I bought both of them. They have different personalites and do the job. E