Already said,..

But to go into some detail,..

Typical Lee Enfield barrels are oversize,..usually measuring somewhere around .316" groove diameter,..which makes them excellent candidates for patching projects involving typical .308 cast bullets.

My particular favorite bullet for such a project is the RCBS 30-180 FN. The 30-180 FN has a bearing surface of approximately 1/2",..which is the same as the width of standard teflon tape.

I found that 6 tight wraps of teflon tape would bring the diameter of a .308" bullet up to about .317".

The bullets were not sized,..either before or after the application of the tape. A gas check was crimped on with a .309 sizer die but the bullet was only inserted into the die far enough to crimp on the gas check.

Alloy used was quenched wheelweights.

I fabricated 2 dies to assist the loading procedure. One flared the mouth of the case and the other essentially resized the case neck after the teflon taped bullet had been seated. It was open at the top and the bullet projected through the top of it as the die took the flare out of the case neck.

The bullets were seated to a depth which placed the base of the bullet flush with the bottom of the .303 case neck.

Rifle powder was used to minimize deformation of the bullet upon ignition,..H4350. The charge selected would produce 2000 fps with the heavy .30 cal bullet. (about 190 grains when cast from WW alloy).

I never scoped the rifle, but it would consistently group the load into 3" at 100 yards using the issue tangent sights and my eyes. (jacketed loads wouldn't do any better)

I often fired 150 rounds or more a session and never experienced a loss of accuracy from barrel leading. When cleaning the barrel, I would only encounter an oily, black residue.