I did some gun trading this weekend and brought home a new Model 70 in 270 win and a Kimber 84 in 257 Roberts.

The fit and finish on both are very nice,both are smooth in function as well.Comparing the new M70 to one about ten years older: The new Model 70 Featherweight is nicer than the Featherweight Classic in 280 that I bought in the mid 1990s. It has nicer wood,a better finished stock,and the action is smoother right out of the box. The trigger pull is much nicer out of the box on the new M70 as well.

The Kimber is also a nice rifle,better than the three M84s that I bought and got rid of in the first couple of years of production.The wood is nicely done,and the action is smooth right out of the box. The trigger is just as good as my new model 70's,both are close to three pounds and are very crisp.

Both Kimber and Winchester seem to have gotten it togeteher well in their latest guns,I have owned a number of Pre 64 M70s that were not as nice in terms of fit and finish,or smoothness of action and quality of trigger as these new guns.

Kudos to Kimber and Winchester.