Monday night we had a 1" thick round steak off the 56" bull I helped dress out in the middle of the night this year. It just fit in the deep, 10" cast-iron frypan. The steak, that is. The moose was a bit larger....

Garlic salt and pepper both sides, roll in flour, sear both sides until crusty-brown in smoking hot butter with a lid on the pan.

Add about 3 cups water mixed with aujus mix, a shot of mesquite liquid smoke, and just a bit of Worcestershire sauce or A1, reduce heat, keep covered and simmer until just pink inside. The gravy went fine over the rice. By the time the wife got home (she was late) hers was well done, but still tender and excellent. She took the leftovers back out to the village with her Tuesday morning.

My wife complained - she had her mouth set (also full, at the time) on it being simmered in tomato sauce (we were out) and various spices- which we also do on occaision- but what the heck- if she wants to dictate how it should be done, she can get home in time to do it herself! You will notice I didn't wait to eat with her either - but I did have a BIG glass of good wine waiting for her. smile

Last edited by las; 11/12/08.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.