Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I have done many, many bullet tests with Nosler Partitions, which as many of us know, tend to lose the front end on expansion, leaving a relatively small mushroon. Often the weight loss is 35% or even more. Yet Partitions will generally penetrate almost as deeply as TSX's of the same diameter and weight in media--and also penetrate very deeply in game. The reason? Relatively small frontal area, which is more important in penetration that weight retention (see Woodleigh example).

Not that you need any support for what you have already stated on numerous occasions in this regard. However, I had a classic case of what you state here on a moose I shot - several times - with 140 grain bullets out of a 6.5X55. Two were Partitons, two were A-Frames. The shots were all broadside from the left side, all through the ribs, all including muscle of, but no bone of the leg(s).

The Partitions were both stopped by hide on the far side.

[Linked Image]

...with some obvious weight loss. The A-Frames, which I didn't recover, were both in the muscle of the offside leg, presumably a bit heavier - and broader- than the Partitions.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer

That is also there is no such thing as the perfect bullet. That doesn't stop most of us from deciding there is, usually based on a handful of animals--or even one.

Very true. And I think those of us who have been disappointed by certain bullets at times, have been so because we may have been a bit too enamoured by them initially - speaking for myself anyway.

I appreciate the breadth and depth of the experiences you relate so well!

Check out these 2 30 cal 200 grain Partions that a friend of shot recovered from a Bison

Here is the picture and his description

200 gr Nosler partitions recovered from an American Bison Killed on Henry Mountains in Utah.
Bullet on the right broke the shoulder but did not go any further resulting in a very long afternoon of tracking. The bullet upon recovery weighs 74.9 gr.
The other bullet out of the same buffalo weighs 92.5 gr upon recovery.

[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first