I have owned many of the Browning Safari grade rifles and the belted magnums lost the Mauser claw extractor somewhere around 1965. I have a 458 and a 375 made in 63 and 64 that have the long extractor. I presume that this change was made to give smooth(er) feeding with the belted cases. The non belted were always Mauser type extractors. I don't think Browning ever marketed a Sako long action magnum rifle, they were all FN Mauser actions after 1960 through 1974. Salt wood, I believe, is from 1967 to 1974. I have a pair of Sako rifles of the 1950's, before their L61 action, that are made in the H&H calibers on FN Mauser Deluxe actions, not the Supreme, they have a single throw Mauser left side safety and trigger, as did commercial FN rifles of the early fifties. And as has been stated the 308 and 222 length guns were Sako actions, L57's and L461's.

I think the Browning Safari rifles are among the finest ever made, I do prefer the claw extractor though I have seen no problems with either. I would like to point out that the tang safety is a three position safety as most do not know that. The middle position locks the trigger but releases the bolt to cycle. This safety is not one of my favorites but the trigger is excellent. Simple, rugged and reliable.